Who we are
“With every action we, intentionally or unintentionally, influence future generations. In art, creating per se, exceeds its own time, it becomes timeless. By doing so, it is an exemplary role model for economic activity that relies on sustainability and gives the future a chance.” (Dr. Michael Otto, Chairman of Otto Group)
The Kulturkreis has campaigned since 1951 for a society in which art is seen as an essential resource. More than 400 members belong to this nonprofit association, corporations and entrepreneurs, who facilitate through their member contributions and donations, the support of emerging artists.
The Kulturkreis sees its tasks prioritized as
- the facilitation of arts and culture
- renewal of the arts and economy through long-term engagement in contemporary art
- improvement of the legal framework for all areas of entrepreneurial art support
- strengthening the exchange of the arts and the economy and the cultural awareness in the business world
The Kulturkreis follows the following principles
- Art is a constitutive element of our culture.
- The freedom of art is an essential component of our democratic social order.
- Therefore, the German economy considers it one of its main social tasks to support the arts and culture.
- Art is a basic need. It is a requirement for the responsible development of an economy and society.
- Arts and the economy are based on the same elementary prerequisites: idea, invention, innovation. Both develop from the same impulse: creativity, courage and desire for renewal.